Friday, February 1, 2013

Watercolor Friday 02/01/2013




     This weeks assignment was to paint a still life that I set up in the studio. I photographed my set up of fruits with a strong warm light and printed out the same image for all the students to work from. We almost always make a plan and create thumbnail sketch of our design. I posted my thumbnail drawing today for you to see. Breaking down my painting into a three value system of dark, medium and light is part of making the plan. I also changed how far down the dark background came to push the fruit more forward. And in the photo the orange and pear just touch the black background and creates a tangent.
     As shown in my painting above I picked a focal point and made the strawberry the center of attention and the star of my painting. Just leaving out the details in the other elements of the painting help make my strawberry become the focal point. Using the darkest dark within the shadow of the strawberry helps your eye to be drawn to it as well. These were just a few of the lessons to be learned today in class. Great group today!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment