Monday, March 4, 2013

Watercolor Friday 03/01/2013


     So everyone loves a palm tree! This week I did my demo at 11x15 inches on a 140 pound cold press.I little large for the 1 hour and 30 minutes that I had to complete it. I usually work at half the size when doing a demo in this time frame. Working from a photo I got off the internet I decided to add some life and created a few people along the shore line. I never paint palms because I never get to places to get such great pictures of this kind of stuff. But when working with a class I feel it is not all about me and my pictures and the emotions of what I want to paint, so I often use pictures that are not mine.
     The lesson in painting the palm tree, was to simplify the tree into large shapes and not paint everything you see. And control the values to draw the viewers attention in the direction of the focal point. We also use complement colors to give harmony to the painting. Great fun, most people did not finish there paintings in class because of the size of the paintings were much bigger and that equals more work.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment